For anyone that is unaware of who they are, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are a punk rock supergroup that was put together in southern California by members of Swingin’ Utters, NOFX, No Use For a Name, and Lagwagon. They are exclusively a cover band. That is, they do punk rock versions of songs that were written by somebody else. Each of their albums has a sort of theme. For example, 1999s Are a Drag consists of show tunes while the 2006 album Love Their Country is composed entirely of, as the title suggests, country songs.
The band’s newest entry in their catalog, Are We Not Men? We Are Diva, their first full-length album since 2008s Have Another Ball, will be released on May 13, 2014 by Fat Wreck Chords. It includes songs that were originally performed by, again as the title suggests, divas.
I have been looking forward to this record ever since I heard the first single from the album, a cover of Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up.” Quite frankly, this band never puts out a bad album and this one is absolutely not the exception to that rule.
The combined efforts of singer Spike Slawson, bassist Fat Mike, guitarists Chris Shifflett and Joey Cape, and drummer Dave Raun make this album a joy to listen to from the opening track of Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive” to the Barbara Streisand classic “The Way We Were” closing out the album.
I always find it amusing to see what the boys in Me First and the Gimme Gimmes will come up with next and with Are We Not Men…., they have done it again.
It is easily one of the best albums, and possibly the best album so far, that has come out this year.
Here is the track listing for the album:
1. I Will Survive (originally performed by Gloria Gaynor)
2. Straight Up (originally performed by Paula Abdul)
3. Believe (originally performed by Cher)
4. Beautiful (originally performed by Christina Aguilera)
5. My Heart Will Go On (originally performed by Celine Dion)
6. I Will Always Love You (originally performed by Dolly Parton)
7. Top of the World (originally performed by The Carpenters)
8. Speechless (originally performed by Lady Gaga)
9. Karma Chameleon (originally performed by Culture Club)
10. Crazy for You (originally performed by Madonna)
11. On the Radio (originally performed by Donna Summer)
12. The Way We Were (originally performed by Barbara Streisand)