- 1925 – John Quincy Adams is elected President by the House of Representatives when neither he nor Andrew Jackson receive a majority of electoral votes.
- 1870 – The Weather Bureau is established by Congress.
- 1889 – The Department of Agriculture becomes a cabinet-level agency. It’s first Secretary is Norman J. Coleman.
- 1964 – The Beatles appear on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time.
- 1967 – The 25th Amendment to the Constitution is ratified, stating that the Vice President becomes the President in the case of the current President’s death, resignation, or is removed from office.
Nothing all that interesting happened on this day in the United States.
Nothing really all that interesting on this day either.
- 1914 – The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is established.
- 1859 – Oregon becomes the 33rd state.
- 1903 – The Department of Commerce and Labor are established.
- 1912 – Arizona becomes the 48th state.
- 1764 – St Louis Missouri is established.