- 1837 – Michigan becomes 26th state
- 1838 – Tennessee becomes 1st state to enact a prohibition law
- 1861 – Louisiana secedes from the Union
- 1785 – America’s 1st public university, the University of Georgia, is founded
- 1888 – The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington DC
- 1915 – The Coast Guard is created by an act of Congress
- 1986 – The Space Shuttle Challenger explodes after lifting off at Cape Canaveral Florida
- 1861 – Kansas becomes the 34th state
- 1936 – The first group is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. That first group consisted of Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner.
- 1963 – The first group is inducted into the Football Hall of Fame. That first group included Sammy Baugh, Bert Bell, Joseph Carr, Dutch Clark, Red Grange, George Halas, Mel Hein, Pete Henry, Cal Hubbard, Don Huston, Curly Lambeau, Tim Mara, George Preston Marshall, Blood McNally, Bronko Nagurski, Ernie Nevers, and Jim Thorpe.
Nothing worth mentioning
- 1865 – The 13th Amendment is passed by Congress and is submitted to the states for ratification. This amendment to the US Constitution abolished slavery.
- 1790 – The Supreme Court convenes for the first time. The Chief Justice at the time was John Jay.
- 1861 – Texas secedes from the Union