- 1861 – Georgia secedes from the United States.
- 1920 – The American Civil Liberties Union is founded by Roger Baldwin, Crystal Eastman, Helen Keller, and Walter Nelles.
- Nothing interesting
- 1973 – SCOTUS rules on Roe v Wade which legalized abortion in all 50 states.
- 1984 – The Apple Macintosh is introduced.
- 1986 – The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts its first class: Little Richard, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.
- 1848 – Gold is discovered at Sutter’s Mill in California by James W. Marshall.
- 1916 – SCOTUS declares that the federal income tax is constitutional in Brushaber v Union Pacific Railroad. Booo!
- 1933 – The 20th Amendment to the Constitution is ratified. This amendment set term limits for the President.
- 2003 – The Department of Homeland Security becomes official. Another booo!
- 1961 – The 1st live presidential news conference is delivered by John F. Kennedy
- 1971 – Charles Manson and family are found guilty of the Tate-LaBiance murders.