- 1914: Ford Motor Company announces it would begin an 8-hour workday.
- 1912: New Mexico becomes the 47th state.
- 1999: The Senate begins impeachment hearings against President Bill Clinton.
- 1790: President George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York City.
- 1835: The national debt is $0.00 for the only time in history.
- 1964: President Lyndon Johnson declares a war on poverty.
- 1973: The Watergate scandal trail begins.
- 2002: No Child Left Behind is signed into law by President George W. Bush.
- 1788: Connecticut becomes the 5th state.
- 1861: Mississippi becomes the 2nd state to secede from the Union.
- 2007: The 1st iPhone in unveiled by Apple CEO Steve Jobs.
- 1776: Common Sense is published by Thomas Paine.
- 1861: Florida secedes from the Union.
- 1990: Time Inc and Warner Communications merge to form Time Warner.
- 1861: Alabama secedes from the Union.
- 1973: Major League Baseball owners approve the use of the designated hitter rule in the American League.