- 1845 – Texas becomes the 28th state.
- 1853 – Land is bought from Mexico in the southwest via the Gadsden Purchase
- 1862 – West Virginia is admitted to the union when it splits Virginia in two.
- 1983 – AT&T Bell System is broken up
- 1999 – Control of the Panama Canal is given to Panama.
- 1902 – The 1st American college football game is held in Pasadena California between Michigan and Stanford.
- 1994 – NAFTA goes into effect.
- 1974 – The national speed limit is lowered to 55 by President Richard Nixon
- 1959 – Alaska becomes the 49th state.
- 1961 – Diplomatic relations with Cuba are cut off
- 1896 – Utah becomes the 45th state
- 1965 – President Lyndon Johnson announces his Great Society in an effort to eradicate poverty and racial injustice. Spending programs that addressed education, medical care, and urban problems were implemented. Almost 50 years later, these program have yet to accomplish their intended goals.
- 2007 – Nancy Pelosi becomes the first female Speaker of the US House