- 1941 – The United States declares war on Japan following the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- 1980 – John Lennon is murdered outside his New York City apartment by Mark David Chapman.
- 1958 – The John Birch Society is founded in Indianapolis Indiana by Robert Welch Jr.
- 1817 – Mississippi becomes the 20th state.
- 1861 – Kentucky becomes the 13th state of the Confederacy.
- 1906 – President Theodore Roosevelt becomes the 1st American to win the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the Russo-Japanese War.
- 1816 – Indiana becomes the 19th state.
- 1787 – Pennsylvania becomes the 2nd state to ratify the Constitution.
- 1636 – The National Guard is founded when the Massachusetts Bay Colony organizes 3 militia units.
- 1819 – Alabama becomes the 22nd state.
- 1971 – Eugene Cernan becomes the last person to walk on the moon on the Apollo 17 mission.