- 1835 – The Texas Ranger police force is formally created by the Texas Provincial Government. The Texas Rangers are now a division within the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- 1932 – The FBI Crime Lab officially opens.
- 1963 – Lee Harvey Oswald is murdered by Jack Ruby as he is being transported from the Dallas police department headquarters.
- 1963 – President John F Kennedy is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
- 1825 – The 1st college fraternity, Kappa Alpha Society, is formed at Union College in Schenectady, New York.
- 1842 – The University of Notre Dame is founded.
- 1863 – Thanksgiving Day is proclaimed by President Abraham Lincoln to be celebrated annually on the last Thursday of November.
- 1917 – The National Hockey League is formed. The 1st teams are the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Bulldogs, and Toronto Arenas.
- 1924 – The 1st Macy’s Day Thanksgiving Parade is held in New York City.
- 1964 – NASA launches the Mariner 4 probe toward Mars. The Mariner 4 was the 1st space probe to perform a successful flyby of the planet Mars and return images of its surface back to Earth.
- 1963 – The Warren Commission is established by President Lyndon Johnson to investigate the assassination of JFK.
- 1972 – Atari releases Pong, the 1st commercially successful video game.
- 1993 – President Bill Clinton signs the Brady Bill into law.
- 1999 – Protests begin in Seattle Washington against the World Trade Organization meeting.