This week in American history…
- 1777 – The Articles of Confederation are submitted to the states for ratification.
- 1800 – Congress holds its first session in Washington DC
- 1993 – House of Representatives passes a resolution to establish the North American Free Trade Agreement.
- 2003 – Massachusetts Supreme Court rules 4-3 that the state’s ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional.
- 1863 – President Lincoln delivers the Gettysburg Address at the dedication of the military cemetery there.
- 1998 – The House of Representatives begins impeachment hearings against President Bill Clinton.
- 1789 – New Jersey is the first state to ratify the Bill of Rights.
- 1974 – The Dept of Justice files an anti-trust suit against AT&T leading to the breakup of the Bell System.
- 1985 – Microsoft 1.0 is released.
- 1789 – North Carolina is admitted as the 12th state.
- 1858 – Denver Colorado is founded.
- 1963 – JFK is assassinated in Dallas, Texas.
- 1995 – Toy Story is released as the 1st film created entirely of computer-generated imagery.
- 1889 – The 1st jukebox begins operating in San Francisco.