This week in American history….
- 1913 – The U.S. introduces the income tax.
- 1861 – The University of Washington opens in Seattle. It is originally called Territorial University.
- 1952 – The Natl Security Agency is established. The NSA of course has been under a lot of fire lately for its domestic wiretapping. In case you didn’t know the NSA has been involved in monitoring phone communications darn near since its inception. Specifically, it came under attack for its operations during the Lyndon Johnson administration for tapping the phones of Senators Frank Church and Howard Baker.
- 2008 – Barack Obama is elected POTUS, making him the first African-American elected to the position.
- 1895 – The 1st US patent is issued for an automobile to George Selden.
- 1912 – Woodrow Wilson is elected POTUS
- 1861 – Jefferson Davis is elected President of the Confederate States of America.
- 1944 – Franklin D Roosevelt is elected POTUS for a 4th term.
- 1967 – The Corporation for Public Broadcasting is established when Pres. Lyndon Johnson signs the Public Broadcasting Act. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting in turn created the Public Broadcasting Service, or PBS, and National Public Radio, or NPR. The Corporations purpose was to, with its funding, help local stations and increase public interest in broadcasting.
- 1994 – The world’s 1st internet radio broadcast is provided by WXYC, the student radio station of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- 1889 – Montana becomes the 41st state.
- 1960 – JFK is elected POTUS.
- 1967 – The 1st issue of Rolling Stone magazine is published.