This week in United States History…
- 1682 – The city of Philadelphia, PA is founded
- 1868 – The Extermination Order is issued by Missouri Governor Lilburn Boggs, ordering all Mormons to leave the state or be executed. There’s some religious tolerance for ya!
- 1636 – The Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony votes to establish its 1st college. This college today is known as Harvard University.
- 1886 – The Statue of Liberty is dedicated by President Grover Cleveland.
- 1919 – The Volstead Act is passed over President Woodrow Wilson’s veto. This Act led to Prohibition.
- 1929 – Black Tuesday. The beginning of the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange crashes, ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s.
- 1945 – Jackie Robinson signs a contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers, becoming the first black major league baseball player.
- 1864 – Nevada becomes the 36th state.
- 1913 – The 1st automobile highway, the Lincoln Highway, is dedicated.
- 1870 – The Weather Bureau makes its 1st official weather forecast. The Weather Bureau later became known as the National Weather Service.
- 1915 – Parris Island is designated as the training depot for the U.S. Marine Corps.
- 1889 – North and South Dakota become the 39th and 40th states.
- 1920 – The 1st commercial radio station, KDKA, begins broadcasting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.